PETER GORM LARSEN
GENERAL OVERVIEWI am married to Margit Sandvang Larsen and
have two children (Cecilie and Johan). My private life mainly is spend with the
family, on the house and by playing table tennis in Søften and a little squash.
I completed my Masters degree from the
Technical University of Denmark in 1988 and I completed my PhD in 1995 also from
the Technical University of Denmark.
I am working for the
Engineering College of Aarhus (IHA) as a professor (in Danish "ingenørdocent")
and I am also an adjunct professor at Aarhus University. In parallel with
this is have a small one-man consultancy company called
PGL Consult where I
assist companies with the use of formal methods (in particular VDM) as well as
assist with producing bids, reviewing and writing different kinds of material.
The first customers here are Systematic
Software Engineering from Denmark and CSK from Japan.
From January 2002 till July 2005 I have worked for
Systematic Software Engineering which is a
high-tech software development company, where my title was "Chief Business
Solution Architect". This means that I was involved with business development
with a technical angle where I assisted with the conceptual solution based on an
understanding of the customers challenges. I was particularly involved in the defense sector where my main project was the Joint Strike Fighter project.
Previously I was working for IFAD which is
a much smaller high-tech IT company since 1989. Here I was head of the
department dealing with long-term research for IFAD and consultancy and training
services for the VDM technology. As
the main VDM consultant I have worked with many large companies including
Boeing, British Aerospace, Aerospatiale, Dassault, Matra, Alcatel and Baan. In
addition to being a charge of a number of projects at IFAD I am involved with
organising the VDM Workshop at the FM'99 symposium. In addition to the
publications given below I have been involved in writing a new VDM tutorial book
Systems: Practical Tools and Techniques in Software Development". Course
material for the book is also available.
A new tutorial book for VDM++ has been completed January 2005 together with John
Fitzgerald, Paul Mukherjee, Nico Plat and Marcel Verhoef.
At IFAD I have been supervising a number of students (mostly for their final
MSc thesis projects) over the years. Subsequently I have been supervising
students while working at the Engineering College of Aarhus (from 2005):
- (1992) Marcel Verhoef, (TU
Delft, The Netherlands)
- (1993) Kees de Bruin, (TU Delft, The Netherlands)
- (1994) Carsten Anacher (Fachhochschule
Wedel, Germany) (BSc)
- (1994) Ivan Overgaard (Odense University, Denmark)
- (1995) Vincent Stephan, (IRESTE, France) (summer student)
- (1995) Brigitte Frölich,
(TU Graz, Austria) (PhD)
- (1996) Søren Nielsen, (Odense University, Denmark)
- (1996) Bernhard
Aichernig, (TU Graz, Austria)
- (1997) Jesper Kjær Pedersen (Odense University, Denmark)
- (1998) Wendy Schaefer (JPL, USA) (a months visit)
- (1998) Oliver Oppitz, (TU Graz, Austria) (for which a prize was awarded by
- (2000) Georg Weissenbacker, (TU Graz, Austria) (summer
- (2001) Nicola Trcka, (University
of Belgrade, Yugoslavia) (summer student)
- (2005) Jacob Porsborg Nielsen and Jens Kielsgaard Hansen, (Technical
University of Denmark, Denmark)
- (2005) Kasper Boe Johansen, (IHA, Denmark)
- (2006) Klaus Pedersen, (IHA, Denmark)
- (2006) Nick Nygaard, (IHA, Denmark)
- (2007) Thomas Christensen (Aarhus University, Denmark)
- (2007) Kasper Høj Jæger Nielsen, (IHA, Denmark)
- (2007) Hugo Macedo (Minho University, Portugal)
- (2007) Sander Vermolen (University of Nijmegen, The Netherlands)
- (2007) Jasper Moltke Nygaard (IHA, Denmark)
- (2007) Rasmus Ask Sørensen (IHA, Denmark)
- (2008) Adriana Sucena (Minho University, Portugal)
- (2008) Carlos Vilhena (Minho University, Portugal)
- (2008) Augusto Ribeiro (Minho University, Portugal)
- (2008) Sune Wolff (IHA, Denmark)
- (2008) Kenneth Lausdahl (IHA, Denmark)
- (2008) Hans Kristian Lintrup (IHA, Denmark)
- (2009) Christian Thillermann (IHA, Denmark)
- (2009) David Holst Møller (IHA, Denmark)
- (2009) Lasse Lorentzen (IHA, Denmark)
1. VDM-SL Standard
- "The Dynamic Semantics of the BSI/VDM Specification Language." P.G. Larsen
and M.M. Arentoft, MSc Thesis, Department of Computer Science, Technical
University of Denmark, 1988, 352 pages. (bib entry)
3. Tool Supported VDM-SL and
- "Making Specifications
Executable - Using IPTES Meta-IV'' M.Andersen, R.Elmstrøm, P.B.Lassen,
P.G.Larsen. Published by Microprocessing and Microprogramming, September 1992,
Vol. 35, Nos. 1-5 (bib entry)
- Response to "The Formal
Specification of Safety Requirements for Storing Explosives'' P.G.Larsen.
Published by Formal Aspects of Computing, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 565-568, 1994 (bib
- "The Return of VDM
to Austria" P.G. Larsen. Published in Telematik (Graz, Austria), 1998 (bib
Systems - Practical Tools and Techniques in Software Development, John
Fitzgerald and Peter Gorm Larsen, Cambridge University Press, ISBN
0-521-62348-0, 1998 (bib entry).
of VDM in Banknote Processing, Paul R. Smith and Peter Gorm Larsen, VDM in Practice, September 1999, Toulouse,
France (bib entry).
- Using VDMTools to
Model and Validate the Cash Dispenser Example, Peter Gorm Larsen, Paul Mukherjee and Kim
Sunesen, , Formal Aspects of Computing, 2000, 12:216-217 (bib
- "Validated Designs
for Object-oriented Systems J.S. Fitzgerald, P.G. Larsen, P.
Mukherjee, N. Plat and M. Verhoef, Springer, ISBN 1-85233-881-4, January
2005 (bib entry).
- "Modeling and Validating Distributed Embedded Real-Time Systems with VDM++
M. Verhoef, P.G. Larsen and J. Hooman, Springer Verlag Berlin, in FM 2006: Formal Methods, ISBN 3-540-37215-6, August
2006 (bib entry).
- Interpreting Distributed System Architectures using VDM++ - A Case Study,
of System Engineering Research (CSER), March, 2007 (bib
- Balancing Insight and Effort: the Industrial Uptake of Formal Methods,
John Fitzgerald and Peter Gorm Larsen,
and Hybrid Real-Time Systems, Essays in Honour of Dines Bjørner and Chaochen
Zhou on the Occasion of Their 70th Birthdays, Springer, LNCS 4700, Macau,
pp.237-254, September 2007 (bib entry).
- Validation Support for Distributed Real-Time Embedded Systems in VDM++,
John Fitzgerald. Peter Gorm Larsen, Simon Tjell and Marcel Verhoef, High
Assurance System Engineering, IEEE, November 2007 (bib
- VDMTools: advances in support for formal modeling in VDM, John
Fitzgerald, Peter Gorm Larsen and Shin Sahara,
Notices, February 2008, pp 3-1 (bib entry).
Recent Industrial Applications of VDM in Japan,
Larsen and John Fitzgerald,
BCS Formal Aspects of Computing, Christmas workshop, December 2007,
published May 2008,
eWIC (bib entry).
Incremental Development of a Distributed Real-Time Model of a Cardiac Pacing
System Using VDM, Hugo Daniel Macedo, Peter Gorm Larsen and John
Fitzgerald, FM 2008: Formal Methods, LNCS 5014, Eds.: Jorge Cuellar, Tom
Maibaum and Kaisa Sere, May 2008 (bib entry).
Systems - Practical Tools and Techniques in Software Development, 2nd
Fitzgerald and Peter Gorm Larsen, Cambridge University Press, ISBN
0-521-62348-0, 2009 (bib entry).
Methods for the Developing Distributed Real-Time Systems using VDM, Peter
Gorm Larsen, John Fitzgerald and Sune Wolff, International Journal of
Software and Informatics, October 2009 (bib entry).
Connecting UML and VDM++ with Open Tool Support, Kenneth Lausdahl and Hans
Kristian Agerlund Lintrup and Peter Gorm Larsen, Formal Methods 09, November
2009 (bib entry).
Initiative - Integrating Tools for VDM, Peter Gorm Larsen, Nick Battle,
Miguel Ferreira, John Fitzgerald, Kenneth Lausdahl and Marcel Verhoef, ACM
Software Engineering Notes, January 2010, Vol 35 (1) (bib
Sander Vermolen, Jozef Hooman, and Peter Gorm Larsen,
Automating Consistency Proofs of VDM++ Models using HOL, ACM Proceedings
of the 25th Symposium On Applied Computing (SAC 2010), 22 - 26 March
2010 (bib entry)
4. SA and VDM
5. PhD Work
- "Developing a Security-critical System using Formal and Conventional
Methods." J.S. Fitzgerald, P.G. Larsen, T.M. Brookes, M.A. Green. Printed in
"Applications of Formal Methods", chapter 14, M. Hinchey, J.P. Bowen (eds.),
Prentice Hall International Series in Computer Science, September 1995 (bib
7. Formal Methods in General
- "FME'93: Industrial-Strength Formal Methods."J.C.P Woodcock and P.G.
Larsen (eds.), Springer-Verlag, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 670, April
1993 (bib entry)
- "Special issue on FME'93: Industrial-Strength Formal Methods.J.C.P.
Woodcock and P.G. Larsen (eds.), IEEE Transaction on Software Engineering,
February 21(2), 1995 (bib entry).
- "On the Industrial Value of Models", P.G. Larsen, (Invited Paper), 2nd BCS-FACS Northern
Formal Methods Workshop, Springer ISBN 3-540-76215-9, Ilkley 1997 (bib
- "CSK Corporation Launches VDMTools in
Japan", Araki Keijiro, Dines Bjørner and Peter Gorm Larsen, BCS
(British Computer Society) electronic journal FACS FACT, October 2005 (bib
Fitzgerald and Peter Gorm Larsen, Triumphs and Challenges for
Model-Oriented Formal Methods: the VDM++ experience, ISOLA 2006. Also
available as Technical Report, CS-TR-999, University of Newcastle upon Tyne,
- Juan Bicarregui, John Fitzgerald, Peter Gorm Larsen and Jim Woodcock,
Industrial Practice in Formal Methods, Formal Methods09, November 2009 (bib
- Jim Woodcock, Peter Gorm Larsen, Juan Bicarregui and John Fitzgerald,
Formal Methods: Practice and Experience, ACM Computing Surveys,
2009 (bib entry)
- "Two courses on VDM++ for Embedded Systems: Learning by Doing, P.G. Larsen, Formal Methods Educations Workshop, Canada, August, 2006
- Peter Gorm
Larsen, John Fitzgerald and Steve Riddle, Learning by Doing: Practical
Courses in Lightweight Formal Methods using VDM++, FM Education workshop
at FM'06. Also available as Technical
Report, CS-TR-999, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, December 2006,
- Peter Gorm
Larsen, John Fitzgerald and Steve Riddle, Practice-oriented courses in
formal methods using VDM++, Formal Aspects of Computing journal,
A Multidisciplinary Engineering Summer School in an Industrial Setting,
Peter Gorm Larsen, Joáo M. Fernandes, Jacek Habel, Hanne Lehrskov, Richard
J.C. Vos, Oliver Wallington and Jan Zidek, Published by the European Journal
of Engineering Education, August, 2009 (bib entry).
9. Defence Interoperability
- "Untangling Technology Debates on Information Sharing and
Interoperability", F.D. Jørgensen, P.G. Larsen, J.M. Stadtmueller,
MILCOM'05, October 2005, New Jersey (bib entry).
- "Coalition C2 Interoperability Challenges", P.G. Larsen,
11th International Command and Control Research and Technology Symposium, September 2006, Cambridge, UK
Updated February 2010